Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gratitude and humility


I was having a chat with my husband the other day...about gratitude, and how gratitude affects our outlook on life. Are we grateful for what we have, or are we grumbly about what we don't have?
This morning, as I was driving my boy to work...I saw several people walking, who caught my attention. One was a young boy...pants down low...walking with an annoying cocky sort of a walk. I first thought "what a dope" but then as I watched him, he reached out and hit a tree...just in the way my boys do when they are hurt and sad...then he reached up and rubbed his eyes. Suddenly, I wondered what sort of pain was in his life...what made him dress in a way to attract attention, to prove he is tough and doesn't care. I wondered what was making him sad this morning. I felt sad for him, and thankful that I have had such a lucky and blessed life.
Another was a girl whose bent and twisted body contorted with every step. For her, not only does every day present possible challenges, but every single step, an obstacle to overcome. I felt humility and gratitude. Challenges we may all have, but are we grateful for those things that come easy, like walking? Do we reach out to help others whose burdens out weigh ours?
“Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers” (D&C 112:10).

1 comment:

  1. you are so good!!! thank you for that thought and for taking the time to notice others challenges and offering a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete