Monday, October 19, 2009

Fall

I love fall! I know, I know...I have already mentioned that. One of the things I love about fall is apples. I love apples, and have raised a clan of apple lovers. I went and picked up some gorgeous drops...for next to nothing, and my children ate through 1/2 a bushel in a week. I helped, of course.

We have eaten through more since then! (does that count as gluttony?)

Last week, my dear mother brought me two bags, each a 1/2 bushel, that I promised myself would become applesauce to go to the cupboards. So, Saturday, in spite of my sore throat and fatigue(Oh my...the drama!) I went to work.
This is several batches...warming while waiting to go into jars.
We had to buy a new canner, as the one that I have had forever, as a hand-me-down, sprung a leak last year. The one that we got is a beast! I was almost afraid it was too big, but it did not take too long to come to a boil, and it held 9 jars at once!


Yummy. I have a goal to get four more bags and do the same. That means, that at an average of 5 dollars a 1/2 bushel, and a 9 jar yeild from a bushel, I will spend 10 dollars to get nine jars of applesauce and have apples to spare. So, if I succeed in getting some more apples, for 30 dollars spent, I will have 27 jars of applesauce set aside for those cold winter days. We could have two jars a month...and it will last a whole year! (Thanks Mom and Dad for your contribution!!!)

1 comment: