Monday, October 18, 2010

Back to finding myself....

Well, It has been awhile. I have also had a terrible time making this post....I may have to be all done with Blogger, if it does not shape up! So for awhile, my head has just been spinning, with so many things on my plate that I have just not had time nor energy to blog. But, I have not been squandering my time! Here are some of the things that have been going on in life.See...blogger won't let me make a numbered list...grrrrrr....luckily I know how to make one myself!
  1. Gardening, both vegetable and for fun.
  2. Canning-beans, applesauce, peaches, relish
  3. Busy childcare, with the addition of three children with challenging behavior issues. I found this to be almost overwhelmingly challenging. I want to help these children and their families, but phew, is it hard!
  4. Start of a new school year...including homeschooling my two teen girls..This may have been a ridiculous decision...in light of the childcare challenges...but I love having my girls home. I love watching them discover and learn. I love the music they bring in to my day.
  5. Dealing with and supporting a difficult teen with emotional physical and educational challenges. This has included multiple trips to Boston...mutiple doctor and psyciatric appts....mutiple appts and endless communication with the school to sort out how best to support the fellow. The good news is....that I am finally feeling like we are making progress. Hip surgery was intense, but wonderfully successful. The emotional challenges will likely take years...but he is willing and working hard...this is more than half the battle...I believe!
  6. Piano lessons. I love piano lessons, and have added two new students ( I now have five, from two families)...I could definitely be content to teach piano lessons alone someday! It gives me a chance to work with children, with music, and to get out of the house!
  7. Couples counseling. This has been a wonderful step, but a very very hard one. I think that one of the coping strategies that we have developed over the years is to let things slide...to hide beneath the business of life...to swallow frustrations...Counseling each week does not allow for that! It keeps everything raw and out in the open. While recognizing that this is for a greater good...it does not make it any easier!
  8. Relief Society Teacher. This is a wonderful calling, as it is only once a month, and ALWAYS benefits me!

So there you go...all that, in addition to the daily stuff of cooking, cleaning, parenting, etc, etc!


My first canning project was beans. First we cut them all up....

Then blanched and cooled them...
Then pressure coked them.
All done! I did find it a little sad that the lovely fresh colors did not last through the canning process.
After borrowing equipment for the first round.. my husband bought me some lovely new equipment for my birthday!
Look how shiny and lovely it is !
My favorite tool is the magnetic jar top grabber...so clever!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't give up blogging! I love reading this blog. I love seeing you press forward despite the many challenges, your determination to remain positive, and never give up, your recognition and appreciation of the little things in life...the list could go on an on. You might be one of my heroes;)

    ReplyDelete